Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Object Libraries
Object Libraries [message #170463] Wed, 03 May 2006 23:32 Go to next message
ashishmate

Hi Friends

This is very basic question But Im Not able TO FindOut The Ans. Pl. Help Me

i created a object lib. i drag and drop one text item and one trigger from one existing form in to this lib. (as per my knowledge drag and drop is only option to create object in object lib.) now i close that form but my object lib. still open. i save my object lib. now i open two new form and i drag and drop text item and trigger(which is present in my obj lib) to both forms with subclass option ) now I save my both form and once again i save my object lib(not needed but i ll do it).

now i want to change some property of my text item and code of my trigger which should reflect in in both from where i have use this object.

i try to modify object in my object lib. but there is no option available to edit it.

can you tell me how to achieve this

ASHish....
Re: Object Libraries [message #170477 is a reply to message #170463] Thu, 04 May 2006 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Create a reference form by dragging your two items to a new form. Remember, you must never drag them TO this form again. Create an object group in this reference form and add your two 'things' to this object group. Now drag the object group to a NEW object library and save it OVER the existing object library. From now on you will maintain the things in the reference form, then drag the object group to which they belong to a new object library and replace the old one.

For the form that you have written you should consider dragging the object group from the object library and using the new definitions. This is a bit messy as you will end up with two copies of each inherited thing. The best way is to open the form, rename the current objects, drag the object group in, then change the items that use the old object names to the new object names, then delete the old objects.

It sounds confusing but it is better to do it now then when you have many more forms.

David

PS Experiment by adding building visual attributes that are based on another visual attribute object. You will see that this hierarchy is maintained if you use the method described above. But if you drag them out of an object library, make a change, and drag them back you will lose the hierarchy of attributes. Try a base attribute set (arial), then make some based on it but 'red', then some based on the red guys but bigger font. Drag them out to a blank form, change the 'arial' to 'courier' and drag them back then recompile a form using the object library and you will see that the 'courier' does not 'flow up' the hierarchy. The 'hierarchy' was broken when you dragged the object group or the objects separately from the ojbect library to the new form and then back again. THIS MAY HAVE BEEN FIXED IN 10g but it certainly happened in 9i.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 May 2006 00:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Object Libraries [message #170492 is a reply to message #170477] Thu, 04 May 2006 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashishmate

Hi Thanks Dj For Your Reply.

but instead of this we can directly drag and drop those item from one form to another form( using subclass) then what is the use of object lib. if u say we can group thoes objects together then same thing can be done by having separate form which will hold all these comman items and these give use facility to modify item on the spot and changes will be applicable to all item.

cant we directly modify item in object lib.

may me i'm missing some basic concept but i think the way i'm suggesting is quite easy to apply.

please let me know your views on this.

ASHish...
Re: Object Libraries [message #170503 is a reply to message #170492] Thu, 04 May 2006 01:49 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
A reference form can support multiple object libraries.

Your method will LOSE any attribute inheritance obtained from another object.

It is EASIER to drag ONE object group than 450 separate objects from a reference form that contains 800 addressable components.

David
Previous Topic: Problem on Master Detail Forms
Next Topic: List view or datagrid
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:26:53 CDT 2024