Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Forms Future (if there is any) Plz post if u have info
icon9.gif  Forms Future (if there is any) Plz post if u have info [message #153807] Wed, 04 January 2006 04:17 Go to next message
patrifcksreih
Hi there ,
My name is Patrick ,
i just got my OCP in Forms development but as i am reading through the internet , it seems forms will have no future ahead so i wanted to ask you to have a clearer answer. if yes what about Oracle E-business suite ? will it not be under forms later ? Will companies in the middle east(where i live) for example be obliged to upgrade to the web and use J2EE or will there be forms and apps deployment for a very long long time ???
Please reply to me as soon as possible and if you can't provide me with an answer , and if you know someone who does please send me his mail so i can ask him and i would be extremly grateful coz i'm really confused and starting to ask myself if i made the wrong decision pursuing my OCP and chosing the path of developing oracle forms .

Re: Forms Future (if there is any) Plz post if u have info [message #153868 is a reply to message #153807] Wed, 04 January 2006 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vakkalan

Patrick,
Forms is going to be around, there has been no statement by Oracle that it would discontinue this but from what I can see they are closely developing their efforts with Jdeveloper. It is commited with developement efforts till 2013.
The present Forms developers should move a lot of logic to the database as good practice and also codevelop with Jdeveloper.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/index.html and click on statement of direction.

I have seen that it has taken longer to build J2ee applications than forms but the flexibility offered by J2ee has been uncomparable. If you could tell me what field and the use of the application will be in your company, maybe i can answer your questions.

Hope this Helps
Harsha Vakkalanka
Re: Forms Future (if there is any) Plz post if u have info [message #153900 is a reply to message #153807] Wed, 04 January 2006 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
patrifcksreih
First of all thank you for your reply .
second , i live in lebanon and i lately started working in a company called hyperlink which is an Oracle certified advantage partner and is based in abu dhabi , has an office here in lebanon and sells oracle applications (of course part of the E-business suite) to companies that are interested in some of those applications(this is the company's website http://www.hyperlink-me.com).
So much of the job is customization , data conversion and other things ...

Do u think that companies like hyperlink will be obliged to drop forms development and switch to java ?
Hyperlink is doing a lots of projects to other companies currently in the middle east so if these companies are deploying apps now , they of course will need our support and customizations for a very long time and they wouldn't have bought the apps in very expensive deals to drop them soon.
So do u think that companies like mine continue to use Oracle's Ebusiness suite ?
and by saying 2013 r u saying that forms development will diminish for now to finally stop existing in 2013 ?
and do u think that instead of studying forms and pl sql i should have studied java ?
i would be really grateful if u respond to my questions and i am waiting ur answers.

Thanks in advance.
Patrick Sreih
Re: Forms Future (if there is any) Plz post if u have info [message #153915 is a reply to message #153900] Wed, 04 January 2006 18:48 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Oracle has stopped development of Oracle Designer in favour of JDeveloper (there is still support and will be for quite a while). Hence, you would feel that Forms will not have much (or any) new functionality added to it other than to support future database facilities. (My interpretation of events.)

Make sure that you get the Oracle magazine (see oracle.com/oraclemagazine). In the current edition there is a reference to oracle.com/techcasts which includes Moving from Oracle Forms and Designer to Oracle JDeveloper and ADF. So you can see that Oracle if going (but not pushing) towards JDeveloper.

Oracle has brought out HTMLDB which is an integral part of 10G XE (which you can download, use, and distribute free of charge). It has converted metalink to use HTMLDB, as has 'Ask Tom' and a number of other Oracle oriented websites. Therefore, I anticipate, I have no knowledge, but I anticipate that most if not all Oracle products will be converted to use HTMLDB in the future. Its main advantage in my opinion is that it puts more work load back into the database where we normally have grunt due to the size of the disk arrays we have to support. This takes load off the Application Servers which were becoming overloaded by the processing required to support the web applications and the languages in which they are written.

Just my 2 cents worth.

David
Previous Topic: Creating view with grouping function
Next Topic: oracle report problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:53:48 CDT 2024