Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL
icon8.gif  Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #148739] Sun, 27 November 2005 13:55 Go to next message
mentalray01
Hello,
I've this error coming please help me.

I needed to see, how a bean is integerated in Forms 9i. I was
searching through the example at metalink and it gave me a
paper

"How to Integerate HyplerLink Bean in forms 9i", what steps
i followed are given in that paper.

Now when i run the form, it gaves me the error

FRM-40738 Argument to Built in SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL.

the steps i followed are

1- I created a form called hyperlink.fmb
2- Then i created a ON LOGON trigger at this form
3- I opened the canvas and draw a Bean Area on it
4- Then i renamed that Item to Hyperlink by Property Plattelete
5- I named the canvas CONTROL
6- Then at module level i created a TRIGGER WHEN_NEW_FORM_INSTANCE and put following PL.SQL code in it

DECLARE
hHyperlink ITEM := FIND_ITEM('CONTROL.HYPERLINK');

BEGIN
FBEAN.Register_Bean( hHyperlink, 1, 'oracle.forms.demos.beans.Hyperlink');
FBean.Invoke( hHyperlink, 1, 'setURL', 'http://otn.oracle.com/products/forms');
FBean.Invoke( hHyperlink, 1, 'setLabel', 'Forms on OTN');
FBean.Enable_Event( hHyperlink, 1, 'actionListener', true );

END;

7-Then i created a Trigger at CONTROL.HYPERLINK, that was
WHEN_CUSTOM_ITEM_EVENT and put the following code in it

DECLARE
vcEventData varchar2(256);

BEGIN
vcEventData := Fbean.Invoke_Char('CONTROL.HYPERLINK', 1, 'getURL');
WEB.SHOW_DOCUMENT(vcEventData, '_blank');
END;

Then did the following steps of the locating the bean by the
JAR method.

Method 1 - The JAR Method:

a. Locate the hyperlink.jar file located in D:\9iDS\forms90\demos\hyperlink\classes.
b. Move the hyperlink.jar file to 9iDS_HOME\forms90\java.
c. Find the formsweb.cfg file in 9iDS_HOME\forms90\server.
d. Add the following configuration section to the file:

[hyperlink]
archive_jini=f90all_jinit.jar,hyperlink.jar
width=675
height=480
separateFrame=false
splashScreen=no
lookAndFeel=oracle
colorScheme=blue

The archive_jini parameter pointing to hyperlink.jar is the most important part
of this configuration.

e. Now go into Form Builder and accomplish the following:
Edit->Preferences->Runtime Tab
Add the config parameter to your "Application Server URL". It should look
something like this:

http://machine.domain:port/forms90/f90servlet?config=hyperlink

Then i compiled it and ran it, Now it gives this error

FRM-40738 Argument 1 to built in SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY cannot
be null.

Please any help will be appreaciated.

Sincerely
Ben
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150032 is a reply to message #148739] Tue, 06 December 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Did you solve your problem?

David
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150076 is a reply to message #150032] Tue, 06 December 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mentalray01
Hi.
After a long time, somone has replied to this query.

No i am really equal to mad these days, even i thew this
query at Metalink, still no answers back. Please do you
know what i am doing wrong.

Even after getting this problem, i thought there is some problem
with Hyperlink bean, so i made my own small Addition.jar and
tried to integerate, seems like it has integerated well, but still it is not working and same problem it is giving back.

Please can you help me out, where i am doing this problem wrong.

Axiously waiting for the reply.

Tensed Beginner Sad
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150108 is a reply to message #150076] Tue, 06 December 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Have you installed a Java Runtime environment afterwards. I believe I seem to recall some problems with different Java versions on a single machine.

MHE
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150110 is a reply to message #150108] Tue, 06 December 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mentalray01
Hi Maher,
I hope you are doing fine and well.

Yes i have got JDK1.4 installed on my computer
and i guess i have also got Jdk1.3 on the same
machine, but how does it relate to this error?

Please can you help me to solve this strange
problem because my major assignmet is being
pending because of this error.

If you guys want, i can upload the screen shot
of the run time form and the error with it, so
that you guys can have a better clue where i am
doing wrong.

Sincerely
ben
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150113 is a reply to message #150110] Tue, 06 December 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Hey, I just noticed you didn't import the java class. I believe you need to import the java class, don't you? Note: this comes from memory, I haven't got Forms near so I cannot test it but I always thought that Java classes needed to be imported before they could be used.
Question Anyone else has an idea?

MHE
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150132 is a reply to message #150113] Tue, 06 December 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mentalray01
Hi Maher,
Thanks for your reply.

Maher, are you talking about the Class Implemenation property
set? I already set that, at initial i got the error FRM-13008
then i included on the necessary files to be imported for
in form90_classpath and forms90_builderpath.

Still it is giving the same error. I am totally stuck.
Actually, i was a J2EE resource in my company and just
a fresher who has just entered the potential market.
They gave me an assignment to integrate a Translation bean
in Forms 9i, main problem is that, for that, i learnt
how to integrate bean in 9i and used Hyperlink bean as an
example, but from that time on i am just stucked up.

Can someone please help me, lolz seems like if i dont get
this done, i will be fired from job Wink, may be some
people encountered the same problem. Please help the beginner.

Tensed Beginner
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150246 is a reply to message #150132] Tue, 06 December 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Okay, I googled FRM-40738 and got quite a few hits. Have a look at the OTN thread http://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=1000117 where the general opinion is that your Forms and Reports may not be installed properly.

Now some things to watch out for:
1) ALWAYS install Oracle Reports BEFORE Oracle Forms as the Reports replaces some on the parameter/ini type files instead of updating them.
2) Make sure that your Forms and Reports directories are added to the BEGINNING of FORMS90_PATH and REPORTS_PATH and that you DO NOT remove the other entries that are in these registry entries.
3) For the FORM90_CLASSPATH and FORMS90_BUILDERPATH entries make sure that you directories are added at the END of the list of other directories.
4) Directories used by Oracle CANNOT have spaces in their name NOR can a directory specified in a registry entry be empty. I always like to have each directory name component to be 8 characters or less and I don't use special charaters.
5) Does the JAR file need to be signed?
6) May I suggest that you go to the Oracle Forms web site and download the webutil facility and that you verify that everything is working using this package as I have worked with it and once it works I have found other Java stuff also worked.

Please respond to each point listed above telling me about your configuration.

David
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150247 is a reply to message #150132] Tue, 06 December 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Don't panic. We will get a solution for you. I suggest you download, print, and read the various White Papers from Oracle concerning Java Beans. Get the demos and try them. If they don't work then you know it is your Forms configuration. If they do work then you know the problem is elsewhere.

David
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150292 is a reply to message #150246] Wed, 07 December 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mentalray01
Hi David,
Thanks for your prompty reply, if this problem
gets solved, i will really owe a great deal to
you.

David, the above ones i have already checked, and
just in a moment i will paste you whole of my
configurations, but onething i am stuck up at may
be there is the problem.

Do i need to Sign the Jar Files?

If i need, can you tell me some document which tells
me how to sign a Jar File?

David, yes i tried to run the Hyperlink Bean which is
already made by the oracle ones, you know na, where
there are classes present, there is a sample form too
that is already made, i tried to run it, and it is
running properly, so i think so my configuration is correct
but problem is lying somewhere else.

Thanks for the help.
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150424 is a reply to message #150292] Wed, 07 December 2005 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Quote:

you know na
I'm sorry I don't know 'na'.

I listed 6 points - please respond to EACH of them individually.
Quote:

Do i need to Sign the Jar Files?
In point 6 I said to trial the webutil facility. It will tell you how to Sign JAR files.

Have you got the White Papers down from OTN yet?

David
icon4.gif  Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150853 is a reply to message #150424] Sun, 11 December 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mentalray01
Hi David,
I am very sorry, i had high fever for some days
so, i coudlnt come online.

Still, it is not running, i think that, David, my
configuration is correct, i am showing you each step
by step configuration

Point 3 Configuration
---------------------
Forms builder class path values
-----------------------------------
E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jlib\importer.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jlib\debugger.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jlib\utj90.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jl ib\dfc90.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jlib\help3.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jlib\help3-nls.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jlib\oracle_ice5.jar;E:\Or acle1\DevSuit1\jlib\ewt3.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jlib\share.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\forms90\java;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\forms90\java\hyp erlink.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\forms90\java\f90all.jar

Forms 90 class path
-------------------
E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\forms90\java\importer.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\forms90\java\debugger.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\forms90\java\utj90.ja r;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jlib\ewt3.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\jlib\share.jar;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\forms90\java;E:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\forms90\j ava\hyperlink.jar;e:\Oracle1\DevSuit1\forms90\java\f90all.jar

My oracle is installed in e drive of my hard-disk by this
path

E:\OraDev1\DevSuit1

Actually, i downloaded the deamos, and when i tried to
run the Hyperlink bean form, which comes with the
demo's itself, it is running, but my one is not working
at all, which i try to develope.

Please now tell me, do i still need to sign the jar files
or what??

I am really tensed, its my first assignment and i still
unable to do it, i feel really disheartened.

I want to know onething more david, what are the best
steps you will advice me to be a proficient programmer
in forms 9i ?
I will be highly greatful.
sincerely,
ben
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #150915 is a reply to message #150853] Sun, 11 December 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Quote:

I want to know onething more david, what are the best
steps you will advice me to be a proficient programmer
in forms 9i ?
When someone presents you with a numbered set of questions and asks you to answer each one, then DO IT.

At this point I can only recommend that you work with one of the other students in your group and learn from them.

David
Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #151026 is a reply to message #150915] Mon, 12 December 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mentalray01
Hi David,
I hope you are doing fine and well.

David, i am sorry, if i replied you in an un-ethical way. I am totally new to the field, so sincerely seeking things.

David, i got the problem solved. I will never forget this mistake in my whole career. Actually, i had to name the Data Block to CONTROL and i was naming the CANVAS CONTROL. That was putting the NULL pointer exception.

I'm really thankful to the help you provided, because it helped me to locate the jar file in the more proficient manner.

David, i am working alone, i don't have really such seniors who are helping me in the job, thats why i am having a tough time. Please, i do have some dreams too, to excel in job, and i really dont wana let down the company who has shown interest in me. Please provide me some of the professional tips, how to cope up with this Oracle forms 9i. Because, rather i am alone and i wana learn. So please provide me with some tips.

I beg your pardon again, that i didn't answer you in a more ethical way, as it should me. Forgive me. Take care of yourself.

Sincerely,
Benz

Upd-mod: Remove superfluous CR-LFs.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 20:59] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Hyperlink Bean Error FRM-40738 Arugment 1 to BUILT IN SET_CUSTOM_PROPERTY CANNOT BE NULL [message #151050 is a reply to message #151026] Mon, 12 December 2005 21:07 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
My apologies if you thought I felt your answers were unethical, and also about the 'other students' comment, I must have been thinking of another thread.

I am VERY happy that you have solved your problem. We would have got around to looking at your block names, canvas names, and the code with which you had problems ultimately, but I DID need to have those 6 questions answered first.

Concerning the future, just listen to what they want, work hard, read the manuals, research the answers, look at Oracle's OTN web-site at least monthly, download the new demos and things like the 10g XE R2 personal database (so you don't have to run stuff on the 'real' boxes, and when you KNOW that Forms can't do something then tell your bosses as early as possible so that alternatives can be proposed EARLY in the development cycle. Also, read the General, Marketplace, and Suggestions Fourms at the bottom of the list of forums.

David
Previous Topic: Connection Error
Next Topic: autocreate
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:59:09 CDT 2024