Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Three new data block fields, not being queried from DB :(
Three new data block fields, not being queried from DB :( [message #143046] Tue, 18 October 2005 22:12 Go to next message
adamjsawyer
I added three new fields to a detail block on my form. Unfortunately when I do a query these new fields aren't being queried from the DB, even though I set the Database Field property. The form was created through Design Editor. Is there something I'm missing here, to make it query properly?

thx
adam
Re: Three new data block fields, not being queried from DB :( [message #143067 is a reply to message #143046] Wed, 19 October 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
When you say Design Editor do you mean Oracle Designer or Oracle Forms - Form Builder?

Have you set 'Database / Database Item' to 'True'?

David
Re: Three new data block fields, not being queried from DB :( [message #143481 is a reply to message #143067] Thu, 20 October 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adamjsawyer
Sorry I wasn't very clear. I was talking about Oracle Designer. The problem was because I had changed the length of a field in sql*plus, and for some reason the form just didn't like it. Regenerating the tables and table API in designer fixed the problem. I guess it's just one of those weird things.

thx
adam
Re: Three new data block fields, not being queried from DB :( [message #143551 is a reply to message #143481] Thu, 20 October 2005 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
True ... if you use Oracle Designer for form generation then you really should maintain your database definition through it as well. The API and Form field lengths are not 'auto-magically' adjustable. You DO need to regenerate after each database structure change. But hey, its only machine cycles.

David
Re: Three new data block fields, not being queried from DB :( [message #143557 is a reply to message #143046] Thu, 20 October 2005 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adamjsawyer
Strange thing is a went back to College and the lecturer wouldn't let me regenerate again cos of the other group members, and there was heaps of changes to make. I was forced to do the changes in SQL*Plus, and would u believe it my form actually worked! I'm lucky cos the lecturer said if it didn't work then I would have to write the form again (i spent the last 6 wks writing it). I don't know what I would've done if it hadn't werked Surprised

cheers
adam
Re: Three new data block fields, not being queried from DB :( [message #143558 is a reply to message #143557] Thu, 20 October 2005 20:05 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
As long as your generated form accesses the table directly and not though a Designer generated API, then you are probably safe. But oh, I have worked in a place that has 'lost' the designer definitions and the APIs were being maintained by hand. (By reverse engineered the lot and then moved forward.)

I'm glad that you have a working application now. Good luck with the assignment.

Quote:

I don't know what I would've done if it hadn't werked
You would have posted the problem in this thread and we would have helped you fix them! Smile

David
Previous Topic: form validations
Next Topic: How to run form in forms6i on browser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:30:44 CDT 2024