Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Adding sequence to form.
Adding sequence to form. [message #142765] Mon, 17 October 2005 11:00 Go to next message
Sharaf
please i have a sequence which i created in sql plus to increase my primary key.

the sequence is as shown below.

it works fine when insertng valus in sql but in oracle form, how do i attach it to my primary key columns.

CREATE SEQUENCE loan_id_seq

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER loan_id_trigger
BEFORE INSERT ON loan FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
SELECT 'L' || TO_CHAR(loan_id_seq.NEXTVAL,'fm000000000')
INTO :new.loan_id
FROM DUAL;
END loan_id_trigger;

Thanks
Re: Adding sequence to form. [message #142817 is a reply to message #142765] Mon, 17 October 2005 18:55 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
You don't HAVE to attach the sequence, depending on what else you do with this value in the rest of your form.

However, if you have defined the field as mandatory or a primary key field in your form then you should consider using the sequence in a When-Create-Record trigger at the block level and populate your primary key there. Also in your trigger ALWAYS test to make sure the key field ('loan_id') is NULL before populating it.

What you MAY get, however, is 'holes' in your load sequence numbering. If you MUST HAVE an absolute ascending contiguous sequence then consider creating your number MANUALLY using MAX(loan_id)+1 (you will have to strip the 'L' prefix, of course).

David
Previous Topic: selecting command lines(c:\ etc ) on runtime
Next Topic: What is full form of .PLL Library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:54:27 CDT 2024