Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » sequence of triggers that fires
sequence of triggers that fires [message #135383] Wed, 31 August 2005 07:01 Go to next message
joemelvin
hi

i have faced a question in an interview ?

when ur navigating from one block to other block what will be the sequence of triggers that got fired? list out one by one triggers.

Re: sequence of triggers that fires [message #135392 is a reply to message #135383] Wed, 31 August 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
linlasj
What a silly question...but anyway. It would something like VALIDATE-BLOCK then a POST-BLOCK in the block you are leaving, followed by a PRE-BLOCK in the block you are entering. There could be something along the lines of WHEN-NEW-BLOCK-INSTANCE too, but that trigger might not even exist...

But then again, if you are in a field (and you probably are) there are some field triggers to that are walked thru. VALIDATE-ITEM, POST-TEXT-ITEM, and then a PRE-TEXT-ITEM in the new block. I thing the field triggers is "inside" the block triggers if you see what I mean. So that First VALIDATE-ITEM then VALIDATE-BLOCK, then POST-TEXT-ITEM then POST-BLOCK.

There could be some more, not sure.

I have often wondered in what order something happens, but I tend to get that information from time to time. So the problem in itself is not silly, I just do not see the point in knowing this by heart.

Re: sequence of triggers that fires [message #135510 is a reply to message #135383] Wed, 31 August 2005 18:58 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
There is the common answer and the nasty-person answer.

Try searching this forum for 'order' or maybe 'sequence'. There will be a quite a few answers but the answer should be in there somewhere.

Common: If a change has been made all the On- triggers, then all the Post- triggers in old item, old record, old block, form order and then all the Pre- triggers in form, new block, new record, new item order.

Nnasty-person answer: Assuming one row added, one row changed, and one row deleted, and keeping in mind the 'common' answer, work through a mental list comprising 4 or 5 items each with various triggers including at least one 'user named' trigger, reel off (ie speak quickly, without taking a breath) all the triggers BY OBJECT AND NAME. You should be able to get out all the 'old block' triggers (about 20 of them) in your first breath, then reel off the new block triggers in a very long second breath, then in the third breath say, 'if there is a relationship between the two blocks then the answer would also include the relationship based population triggers ...' and reel them off. In your fourth breath say 'and if that block had a relationship then ...' and repeat the third list of triggers. As a final piece say 'and of course all the When-Validate-Item triggers and associated timers would also have to be considered in both the old and new block depending on which triggers of the new block have been coded'.

I do really dislike this question ... just say 'Post- triggers and Pre- triggers and relationships are fired, but there are many other less widely used ones as well.'

David

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2005 19:01]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Drill Down Reports in Developer 2000
Next Topic: Disable typing of non-numeric characters for numeric item
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 01:32:07 CDT 2024